Thursday, 10 November 2011

No Poo

Poo as in shampoo.

I've been living without shampoo for one week now. I know it kinda sounds gross. Probably now you are imagining me looking like someone who doesn't bath much. I promise you, my hair looks fine. And I certainly don't smell bad-dear hubby sniffs them for me ^_*

Recently, I joined Natural Parenting group in Facebook. Someone mention about this thingy and I was intrigued. So I googled some more. It was kind of scary reading the dangerous stuff in a shampoo.

Someone mention about the need of shampoo-to cleanse the dirt and oil from our hair. Conditioner? We use it to moisturise our hair after that. So every day we repeat this step-shampoo, rinse, conditioned, rinse. Well, I washed my hair everyday.

But since giving birth I'm experiencing the all too familiar hair loss. Now I have spikes of baby hair on my head. So I was thinking that maybe I can give these new batch of hair a more natural start. Nothing to lose, really. If it fail I can always go back to my shampooing way.

There are different methods of cleansing your hair without relying on shampoo.

  1. Sodium bicarbonate with apple cider vinegar (ACV) as a conditioner.
  2. Soapnut liquid.
  3. Using water only.
  4. Oil cleansing method (OCM).
I've tried the OCM using virgin coconut oil (VCO). Eeww. It was so gross. Or maybe I did it wrong? The next morning, I took some soapnut and soaked it in hot water for 2 hours. Took the water and added half a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate. Shake it and massage the solution into my scalp. Rinse and I felt better.

That was one week ago. After that I've been using water only to wash my hair. So far, I'm liking it because my cleansing ritual is much shorter now.

We'll see if I can manage it until the end of this year. Baby steps.

So, anyone want to go no poo?


3 comments:

Lizeewong said...

I think I've done this before, when I was travelling (lupa bawa shampoo). Doesn't really work on me cos my hair has always been the rebellious type. Can't even comb it properly if don't use a conditioner :/ In other words, I have badly damaged hair ba ni hehe. Good luck with the new no-poo method.

oji said...

Thanks. My hubby is betting that I won't last till the end of this year. I'm trying to win big!

CJ Ruth said...

Pakai baby shampoo ba..tdk byk chemical dia bilang tu dr ..hehe