Saturday, 1 August 2009

What a Bummer!

Went for my regular prenatal visit yesterday. Guess what? My blood sugar was 14.1 mmol/L...So had to fast last night and come back for another check up just this morning. It was still above normal which is 11.3 mmol/L (normal should be below 7.0 mmol/L after fasting). So the good doctor asked me to do a GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) at the Gribbles lab....And I still cannot eat anything! (I was sooo moody during the test, even I wouldn't want to be in my husband's shoes)

Got the result this afternoon:

Time Plasma Glucose
Fasting 4.9 mmol/L
1 hour 9.5 mmol/L
2 hour 7.8 mmol/L

Would only be able to submit the result to my doctor on monday so I'm not sure what it means. But I did some research, and this is what the American Diabetes Association considers abnormal during a 100 g of glucose GTT (but I have no idea how many g of glucose I was given...)

Time Plasma Glucose
Fasting > 5.33 mmol/L
1 hour > 10 mmol/L
2 hour > 8.6 mmol/L

According to this info, I should be okay. But I find another site which says that I'm diagnosed as prediabetes. I have an Impaired Glucose Tolerance (120 minute blood sugar value of (or more than) 7.8 mmol/L).

So now, I'll have to watch my diet (aargh...no more toblerone!) and do more exercise...I guess have to pause the internet shopping and go bershopping-shopping di shopping complex instead. Also consider as exercise mah kan...

Hope everything would be fine...and for the first time in history, I can't wait for monday!

2 comments:

-bba- said...

Can bah toblerone, just not EVERYDAY la.

Good that if you jalan-jalan at shopping complex. I used to exercise in Wawasan Plaza (next to my office only). It is tiring but, you've got to do your exercise.

oji said...

Hahaha...I used to eat toblerone eeeveryday...and then after work kan singgah bakery beli egg tart and cheese cake for tea.
Tu lah, siapa suruh tamaha kan!